Welcome to travelpilz, the new kid on the block, pardon the pun, but I am so excited I can’t help myself. I am about to go on my first trip as a travel blogger. No it’s not Buenos Aires, it’s not a press trip to Honolulu, it’s to a place just around the corner that has never been on my must-see shortlist. But that’s what travel is all about, allowing yourself to be surprised. I am about to hit the Gold Coast, to attend my very first ProBlogger Training Event.
Over 500 bloggers will lay siege to the stylish QT hotel for the last weekend of August to network from dawn to dusk and beyond at breakfast meetings, pre-conference meet-ups and cocktail parties. The world’s most eminent bloggers will teach us the nuts and bolts of the business and hopefully I’ll come away feeling more confident about using social media! I know I have tons to learn, but I think I know where I am headed.
Travel is what I love and what I know best. So that’s my niche. Simple. But there are plenty of great travel blogs out there. So why do we need another travel blog?
- Because a lot of travel blogs are by younger travelers for younger travelers and aspiring digital nomads. Don’t get me wrong. I love reading those too, especially blogs about young families who manage to stay on the road with a toddler or two strapped to their backpacks. But that’s just not me.
- Because I am a grown-up traveler, I’ve done it all before in the days before internet (minus the toddler in the backpack) and I am about to do it again as an advanced nomad who blogs rather than waits for poste restante.
- Because I want to share my love of travel with women (and men), who like me suddenly feel the urge to get more out of life. For some it might just be a nagging thought, or career fatigue, empty nest syndrome or worse, feeling stuck in a marriage that has run stale. I know that I am part of a huge sisterhood of women who crave to travel, who want to do that Spanish course in Havana, who are dying to learn the Tango in Buenos Aires, teach English in Vietnam, do something totally different with their lives.
- My blog is here to inspire you with stories from the road, from far away destinations and places close to home. Let me share practical tips and advice on what to pack (and what not to pack), how not to feel lonely when traveling alone; where to find a good yoga retreat and how to survive India on your own.
- And for very selfish reasons: I love telling stories and taking photos and a blog allows me to say “I am a writer” without blushing, without having to chase editors.
- The world needs my travel blog quite simply because it’s time to set sail. Mark Twain’s famous quote has been my motto for too many years:
Latest posts by Kerstin Pilz (see all)
- Travelpilz gets a facelift, a new name and a new website! - February 9, 2017
- 5 things cyclone Yasi taught me about life (and death) - February 2, 2016
- Why I love Christmas in Germany - December 22, 2015